Hugh O'Brian starred as frontier Marshal Wyatt Earp for six seasons on the TV Western "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp," from 1955-1961. It was steady work, with the ABC series churning out 229 episodes in that span, and O'Brian spent much of his on-camera time on the Iverson Movie Ranch in Chatsworth, Calif.
"The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" (1960)
Here's a shot of O'Brian in Iverson's Eucalyptus Grove, with Cooper Rock in the background at top left. The shot comes from an episode of the series titled "The Doctor," which first aired Oct. 4, 1960, during the show's final season.
Cooper Locator Rock as it appears today.
(The rock formation in the background is the Pirate Ship.)
Today the Cooper Locator Rock helps pinpoint where Cooper Rock was once located (hence, the name). The locator rock survived because it's just south of the wall marking the southern boundary of the mobile home park, which is visible in the above shot. The locator rock remains in its spot in the surviving portion of the Eucalyptus Grove on the Lower Iverson. The much larger Cooper Rock wasn't so lucky, as it straddled two properties when the land was subdivided and it had to be destroyed so that the property on the north side could be filled with mobile homes.
Indian Hills Mobile Home Park — movie rocks in the swimming pool area
Some sections of what is now the mobile home park, including the swimming pool area, remain populated by once-famous movie rocks, such as those seen in the photo above.
"The Living Bible" (1952)
The rocks seen in the swimming pool shot above can also be seen in the 1952 production "The Living Bible." The above screen shot from the production shows Jesus and his followers walking past those same rocks.
"The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" (1960) — Grove Relay Station
Please try out the Amazon links below if you're interested in locating DVD copies of "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp":